Goooood Saturday Morning Internet!
I attended and AMAZING fundraiser last night at the Blue Olive for our dear sweet friend Andrew MacDonald who hit a moose down in Portland, Maine about a month ago. He has been in intensive care ever since but has been steadily getting better! He works with the husband at Ineoquest and he is INCREDIBLY talented and smart, always up for a good time and is all around one sunny, happy amazing guy. His fundraiser was JAM PACKED and I am hoping that they raised some cash for his amazing family who have been at his side!! The music was amazing as well and Erin read a letter from Andrew’s girl that made everyone tear up! Keep Andrew in your thoughts blog world!!
While recovering from all the wedding to do this week I have been thinking lots about getting back on track and motivated again. While I haven’t gained any weight, I have definitely been not cooking as much and been subject to lots of meals out, cocktails, chips n dips, late nights and lack of exercise. While renovating the house was still very physical, I missed having the chance to hit the gym or the park for a good workout. I tried to do an Insanity work out this week but found my endurance was SERIOUSLY lacking. BRUTALLY SO. Insanity workouts used to be no thang!!! SO, I decided I would share with the world the get “New Wife Gets Back On Track” to do list!
1. WATER MYSELF DAILY. Yeah the water consumption is wayyyyy down so I have to get back to the 2-3 litres a day.
2. No more junk! I didn’t really go too overboard except for my wedding day (candy table + Dad’s Guac + wedding cake = WHATWHAT) but I have been allowing myself the sweet and salty demons a bit too much.
3. WORKOUT. I am so excited that I will be able to get to some classes at the gym again! Spin here I come!
4. Enough with the wine already! Every night or two there has been a reason to have a few drinks and it is just too hard on the head! A good cleanse of alcohol is definitely in order.
5. Cook Cook Cook! Too many meals out makes Jeanne a puffy girl.
6. Bask in my newly renovated home! done and done.
I have already started implementing these items but I am going to get more serious about them now that the world knows! THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD!
Since I finally got to do some cooking this week I will share with you Angela’s Vegan Tomato Casserole! (THERE IS EVEN VEGAN PARM INVOLVED!!)
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen’s Scalloped Tomatoes With Croutons.
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 3 slices Ezekiel bread
* 2 boxes of grape tomatoes. Lots of colored ones out now!
* 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
* 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
* 1-2 teaspoons sea salt
* 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* 1/2 cup thinly slivered basil leaves, lightly packed
* 1/2 cup 3 minute vegan parmesan cheeze or regular Parmesan cheese (See Directions for this below!)
Directions: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bread cubes and mix well with oil so that they are evenly coated. Cook bread, stirring frequently, until crisp on all sides for about 5 mins.While the bread is toasting, combine tomatoes, garlic, sugar, salt and pepper in a large bowl. When the bread cubes are crisp, add the tomato mixture to the skillet, stirring frequently for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the basil. Pour into a shallow baking dish and top with “Parmesan cheese”. Bake for 35 minutes until the top is golden. Serves 2-4.
It was SO FREAKING GOOD. I was blown away. The vegan cheese is super simple to make as well.
1/2 cup of Sesame Seeds
2 Tbs of Nutritional Yeast
Bullet or other processor!
Bullet the two ingredients together and as you can see from my final photo of the casserole, you have yourself some delicious vegan cheese. TRY THIS EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT VEGAN!
I am not a vegan but I have been trying to cut back on my dairy a bit because the idea that I am getting fed hormones freaks me out! I typically use almond milk for my coffee and cereal and avoid cheese altogether. However my Greek yogurt habit will never be kicked!! Thankfully there is plenty of organic stuff to choose from.
So cheers is to vegan eats, new goals and AMAC!!